Friday, April 24, 2015

Stinker Pony Trail Rides

If you are a glutton for punishment and have a horse that doesn't like to walk what do you do?  You take him on a trail ride.  I am a firm believer that horses need variety.  I figure that if I can't handle doing the same thing day in and day out, why should I make my horse do that.  Right now we are limited to playing in the sandbox or wandering in the pastures around the cross country jumps.  These are nice, but I was getting bored.

I am not a total idiot (although a strong case could be made otherwise), so S took Stinker and I on a trail ride.  I am so thankful S's horse loves the Stinker, because normally she is a grouch and likes her space.  Stinker wanted to be up on her bum, so Stinker and I came to a compromise.  He didn't stick her nose up her tail (his ideal length) and I didn't get the horse length space.

Once we actually got off the road and onto the trail he was super happy.  He walked along in a nice swinging walk and was on a loose rein.  Not the buckle (again not trying to die) but a nice loop in the reins.  He perked his ears up and was eager to see what was around the next turn.

When we started heading back there was some jigging, but to his dismay S's horse can walk faster than he can jig.  It was nice because his options were jig and get left behind or walk like a normal animal and keep up.  Thankfully he chose the second option.  Sadly I don't have any pictures from the ride.  I prefer to keep both hands on the reins and not be distracted messing with my phone.  So I will leave you with this.


No comments:

Post a Comment