Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Abort Mission

I am quite socially awkward and am terrible at making friends.  Basically, the only way I make friends is if a super social person adopts me.  So far this move I haven't found someone to adopt me.  It is doubly hard, because I am not boarding so I really don't meet people.  I decided to try and push myself outside of my little happy antisocial bubble and go to a GMO meeting.

Socks and I have the same feelings on socializing

It was not what I was expecting.  All the people were really nice and welcoming, but it was very different from the chapter I had previously been in.  The old chapter really wanted people besides the board members to attend and they brought in speakers and what not to get more people to attend.  This one was the board members plus a couple of people that were joining the board.  Whoops.

He is always happy to ham it up

They did try to con me into being the social chair.  I did my usual awkward turtle self and just sat there while they all turned and looked expectantly at me.  I think that was a pretty strong cue that they didn't actually want me as the social chair.  My idea of a good time is hiding and not talking to people.  Maybe hanging out in the corner with a random cute dog.  I also decided I don't drink enough to hang with the dressage ladies.  Hopefully, now that I have met some of the people I can get a little more involved and find another oddball like me.

8 comments:

  1. Ha! You sound like me. I struggle with making friends as well. I always feel as awkward as anything- even though I am not shy. So it's weird. I would probably have adopted you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm available for adoption. My go to is just not talking which apparently makes some people uncomfortable 😂

      Delete
  2. So interesting how GMOs across the country differ! While it didn't work out exactly like you hoped, kudos to you for making an effort to get involved ☺️ maybe once you and Stinker start showing you'll meet more people? Or if you join the GMO, maybe they have a newsletter with other events (besides board meetings, cause clearly those aren't well attended by the members lol).

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I know exactly what you mean and its why its so much easier for me to make friends through the internet. Less chances to be awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or if I am awkward I don't have to see their horrified face

      Delete
  4. You could have avoided this all by staying home.

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then I wouldn't have had anything to write about #doitfortheblog

      Delete