Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Life

When I moved two years ago, I also moved my parents in with me. My dad had severe dementia and Parkinson’s. He was to the point where he required 24/7 supervision. My mom was unable to get help where they previously lived so she was trying to do everything and it was no longer working.


All of a sudden going from being totally on my own and boarding a horse to helping care for my dad, having horses at home, plus my own work (which is not a typical job and I usually average 50-55 hours per week and sometimes 65+) made life a lot busier but we kept plugging along.


Back in January (when blogging essentially stopped) my dad fell and broke his hip. So we were staying at the hospital and then the rehab place with him since he needed a person with him at all times. He recovered from the broken hip and things were going along but both diseases continued to progress (as is their nature).



I went to LRK3DE and had a fabulous time but it was marred by the fact that my mom made the decision to enroll him in hospice care. Things continued to decline and he passed away May 20th. Since then it has been a whirlwind preparing for the memorial service, which was last weekend.


I can’t even put into words what it is like to watch someone go through something like this, so despite my desire to keep the blog about horses (because let’s face it that is why we click on the blogs) I am putting all of this out there for anyone who is going through this. It’s hard and it’s ugly but you can get through it.

9 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. My father in Law had a disease very similar to Parkinsons (Supernuclear palsy) and it was hard to watch him decline. His death was a release for him but still really hard. ((hugs)) you are the best daughter he could have wished for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have shown such amazing courage and strength through all of this. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences to your family. Watching him decline must have been awful. I'm glad you and your mother had each other

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so very sorry. It's awful to watch someone go through all of that, and it's awful to go through it with them. Sending hugs to you <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss. Obviously you have been so strong for your family, I hope you can now find more peace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lost my dad to complications from age and Parkinsons a few months ago. I am so sorry for your loss, and you are right, we can always do more than we think we can. But I am still sorry you had to do it.

    ReplyDelete