Monday, November 14, 2016

Lucky Charms?

A while ago I had a birthday, so of course I got myself a couple of presents.  I got the brow bands from Dark Jewel Designs last week.  And I have been obsessed.  I had intended to wait until I got my fly bonnet and post everything together, but I am too in love with them not to share them now.

Up Close (Ignore the dirty pants, I'm a mess)

So far they have been lucky charms for me.  I have had some really solid rides on Stinker.  There was the ground pole lesson last week which I already talked about, but I am still really excited about it.  Then Friday and Saturday I rode on the hills with no stirrups.  So far I am up to almost five hours of no stirrup work (sadly I am not in the running for the competition because they added a must walk trot and canter once a week clause).


The swap in turn out has made Stinker a bit hot to trot, but he is still trying.  I have been trying to up the amount of trot work, but it hasn't seem to make a difference.  Right now I have him on a one day trot one day walk on the hills schedule and I am trying to mix some canter work in twice a week too.  And he is getting ridden six times a week, darn saddlebred energy.

Sometimes I put a blonde wig on my horse and call him Donald Trump

I am still puzzling over the trot work from yesterday.  I was happy because he was really stretching down, but he also felt like he was really on the forehand.  I could still feel his hind and he wasn't dropping it out behind him like he usually does.  But it just wasn't quite right.  I decided not to worry about the on the forehand part and let him figure out the stretching since that is more of a challenge.  Hopefully, it won't come back to bite me in the butt.

So shiny!

He also gave me some fantastic canter work.  The right lead canter felt bang on.  Of course I don't have video so I don't know if my feeling is totally out of whack or not.  He popped up into the canter (typically it feels more like a rocket launch) was super balanced and listening to my seat instead of just zooming off.  The left was pretty good, but he swapped leads over a ground pole.  I think it was just in the front, but I am not sure.  At any rate I am really pleased with the little Stinker pony and our shiny new lucky charms.

14 comments:

  1. Glad you've had good rides since getting them! I love the colors on him :) For giggles, I looked up the properties of the carnelian. The very first result - Orange stones, especially the carnelians, are excellent aids for training, coordination of physical exercise programs, and for balancing body energy levels. Carnelians boost a listless attitude and can stimulate the appetite. It helps heal lower back problems, rheumatism, arthritis, neuralgia, and accelerates healing in bones and ligaments. It provides excellent support improving overall health in general. Can't hurt then, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I need to be wearing them instead! I love the way they turned out. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay for lucky charms! Those browbands are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally addicted to them. It's a struggle to decide which one to use 😂

      Delete
  3. I am obsessed with Amelia's work. Obsessed. Stinker looks fantastic!!! But also. Omfg that wig. Omfg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teenage boys left it out so I put it to use (not sure I would call it good use...). I was surprised at how well he tolerated it.

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't worry about the on the forehand stretch. He's built so uphill that it'll be a non issue anyway, plus it's hard for most horses to stay uphill and stretch down. He has to figure out how to stretch, so what if it comes with a little on forehand work. Side note, I'm obsessed with Amelia's stuff too, and I want more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel better to hear that. And me too...me too. I want to get all colors.

      Delete
  5. Lovely jewels!!! I want some too :D

    ReplyDelete