Tuesday, November 17, 2015

I Don't Share Well

So I have talked about how Pongo is now being ridden by another girl at the barn too.  I have come to the conclusion that I don't share well.  While she is an excellent rider for her age (12), she doesn't have the experience or understanding to keep him where he needs to be right now.  I have gotten spoiled having him all to myself because it is so much easier to make progress when I am the only one riding him.


Before our conversations were more of me saying do this and he typically would say ok.  Occasionally, he would give me some sass, but in general he was working really well.  I could get on him and he would start with some swing in his back.  He would always be a bit braced to the left, but it would take a couple reminders and he would give.  Then we could start getting him to lift and really push off from behind.  Depending on his softness I would start bringing his shoulders back into line.


Now, I get on him and his back feels like a board.  So, I say, "let's walk off and put some swing into the walk."  Pongo, "Ummm no I don't do that."  Me, "Ummm YES you do."  Pongo, "Ummmm not so much..."  Me, "Get it together dude.  You can walk forward and put some swing in your back."  Pongo, "Fine if you insist."  The last is accompanied with an eye roll I am pretty sure.  This type of conversation takes up the majority of the ride.  By the time I get him back to snappy responses and soft, I am exhausted so I push a little bit further and typically end the ride.  I find it very frustrating because I really want to move forward with him and I haven't been able to the last few rides.


On the bright side, I have a jump lesson on him tomorrow.  Hopefully the pain in my legs from today pays off tomorrow and we have a good lesson.  I am a little nervous, because we haven't jumped since the Sinead clinic.  I also am riding Stinker before my lesson, so I might be a little tired.  He has been a handful the last couple of rides.


This is slightly disjointed, but after my ride on Pongo, I messaged D and basically said I am sorry I messed up the horse (Stinker) you brought to me and that it is now nine months later and we are just getting back to where he was when you brought him to me.  D being the amazing person that she is basically told me to get my head out of my ass and I should never feel like I messed him up in the first place (in a much nicer way).  She kindly reminded me that he did spend 3 months off for EPM and while we should have gone through this stage earlier that prevented it.


Then because she is the smart amazing trainer that she is, she knew I was getting in my head and over thinking things and followed it up with reminded me that all horses have regressive stages.  Every single horse, and it is very frustrating, but you just go back to square one and build things back up.  Then one day, they go "oh yeah, I remember that" and you have another jump forward.

6 comments:

  1. oh yea...horses and taking one step forwards and two steps back. It does make it harder when having to share since the horse gets a bit confused then if both riders signal differently or expect different things. Give yourself more credit!! You are not ruining anything except your own confidence when you say things like that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize logically I'm not ruining anything, but sometimes the crazy takes over...

      Delete
  2. i don't share well either lol... tho actually in the instance of the lesson horse that i ride, i'm glad he's getting used by a wider variety of riders again bc it'll help him develop the sense of humor he needs to be successful in his job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It is a catch 22 for me. I can't complain because the hope is he will become her horse and she is also 12, but at the same time I want to say, "don't let him run around all braced and crap!" I just need to suck it up and be the adult...

      Delete
  3. D sounds like such a great supporter! It depends on the horse for me whether I'm okay with sharing. When Rico was competing I kept him to myself, mostly worried about his soundness. But he maintains his training no matter who is on him, my SIL (with almost no riding experience) actually got him to piaffe on her own. TC definitely is affected by other riders, I think due to his age. I want him to understand that all people ride differently and he should just go along like he always does, but he really doesn't get that just yet. So we'll be working on it eventually but for now, he's going to stick with me exclusively for the winter to get his confidence up.

    Best of luck with your situation! Hopefully Pongo understands the differences between you two soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pongo's issues are definitely due to his age. He just thinks braced with nose shoved out is easier than soft and lifting. But with time S will get the girl working him better and I will keep him going so it is easy for her. I'm mostly just whining because I got spoiled :)

      Delete