Cute, but hella expensive.
The last year was extra expensive because at the start I was paying board on Stinker, D to ride Stinker, and also lessons on farm horses. In addition to that, I had a lot of new horse purchases. Things like blankets. He destroyed his the day he left IL and I had to get him a couple for this winter. Just outfitting things was expensive, then I went a little saddle crazy. I actually ended up buying 3 saddles. Ok well, technically it was 4, but the fourth sold for more than I paid for it, so it doesn't count. I am also trying to sell the third...but it hasn't sold yet, so I guess I have to keep that in there. Finally, there was the little thing called the EPM vet bills. Yep, that took a chunk of change.
The whole point of this rambling is I buy too much stuff and still want more. Which leads into my next HUGE want. I really want wheels. Going to Florida was amazing, but it also made me realize that I want to be able to do clinics. Unfortunately, I am not sure how much hauling I can get to clinics. Especially dressage clinics, which is what we really need. The barn is large enough that we get a few clinicians in every year and S is more focused on showing, so I would have to get them to agree to haul just me. Not very likely and expensive. Most of the people I know that have trucks/trailers don't do dressage, so bumming a ride with them isn't likely. I am feeling very stranded, which leads me into my next point.
My parents have a truck (a big fancy expensive truck) that they rarely use because they have retired from ranching. My mom offered it to me (This isn't going to disappear, so I am not under a time crunch). I want to take it and I have been making lists. Lots and lots of lists.
Their truck is similar to this (Image Stolen From Google)
- I would have a truck to haul
- I would have a truck to haul
- I would have two vehicles (I am not ready to give up my paid for car that gets awesome gas milage to drive a truck everywhere)
- I would have to pay tags and insurance (which is costing my parents ~$600 and I think it would be more for me, because they have a farm tag)
- I don't have a place to keep it (right now it is inside and I would have to park it outside at the farm)
- I am not sure how much I would use it
- I would then want to buy a trailer (=$$$$)
- I am going to be moving again in the next 2ish years, so I should really wait until I am more settled before collecting more stuff. This also translates into I can find a place where I can have a truck and a car.
And because it is totally logical, I have already my dream trailer picked out. I am not entirely sure on the brand yet, so I would love to hear opinions on trailers. Buuuutttt, I want a two horse, straight load, gooseneck, with a dressing room. 'K thanks (santa I will be a good girl). I guess that means I need to start adding that to the savings (you know the savings I am so good at spending on my pretty saddles...)
Something like this (Image stolen from Google)
So what would you do? Be responsible and wait until you were in a more permeant location to take the truck. Or go for broke and take the truck (and try to resist buying all the pretty fancy trailers).