Friday, June 24, 2016

Houston We *Might* Have a Solution

I have come up with another possibility besides EPM (and I am desperately clinging to it) for why Stinker has had such a dramatic behavioral change under saddle.  It is possible that his saddle has gotten too small and he is reverting back to his OMG can't possibly walk in a saddle that doesn't fit perfectly ways.  Which honestly would be the best answer for my wallet.

Always wanting food.

Wednesday night after work, I decided to try an experiment.  I rode him bareback in the small ring with his bridle.  It has been awhile since I have ridden him bareback and I haven't ever really asked for anything when I have ridden him bareback (it has mostly been on the trails when I can't handle being an adult).

He didn't think much of wearing the hat.

There was obviously quite a bit of tension, because it was something different but he didn't have anxiety sweating.  We got some nice walk work at the end.  And as an added bonus I got one hell of a leg work out.  He is a really weird shape (or my legs no longer conform the way they did as a kid) and after my thighs, my legs don't really touch his sides.  As a side note I did discover I can touch my toes together under his belly (did I mention I have freaking long legs?).

I'm starving!

Anyway, I repeated the experiment with similar results last night.  I have a lesson tonight with my favorite dressage judge, so I will see what she thinks about things.  Overall, I am cautiously optimistic that it is the saddle and not EPM (please please please be the saddle).  If it is the saddle it should be a relatively simple fix (minus the part where I have to get my saddle fitter to do something quickly).  I shouldn't complain too much about her, but it is frustrating when you can't touch base easily.

14 comments:

  1. The fact that bareback vs saddle rides were different certainly opens up options other than his health. Maybe it's not even saddle fit but he was feeling girthy or flies were bugging him or something? Was he wearing the saddle that time you lunged him and he was NQR? Fingers crossed it's something easily fixable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was wearing the saddle when I lunged him. And he is super sensitive but I don't think it is a girthy issue. He has strong opinions when I saddle him and he is feeling girthy and I didn't see those.

      Delete
  2. I really hope it is simply saddle fit!!! My fingers and toes are crossed for you <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg i cannot believe your toes can touch under his belly!! but also yea that sounds promising that it isn't EPM causing the issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah tall plus long legs plus narrow horse=weirdness of touching feet. I'm hopeful but trying not to get too excited because I am literally looking for anything else

      Delete
  4. Here's hoping it is the saddle, and it is an easy fix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also can't believe your toes can touch under his belly! That is almost an inconceivable concept for me to wrap my head around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was a little surprised too. I'm freakishly tall and he is only 15.3 and narrow(ish).

      Delete
  6. Fingers crossed it's just the saddle and that the fitter can come out soon!

    ReplyDelete