Friday, April 8, 2016

April Conformation

We lost a little bit of ground this month.  Stinker had almost two weeks off because of his feet, but I am hoping that he will gain it all back this month.  Feel free to weigh in on his progress.  I am always curious about other people's opinions even if I don't agree with them.

Left side.  The neck is still giving me fits.

I am pretty sure the ground is sloped here, but I can't figure out a better place to take the picture.

His shoulders are so uneven, but I think his top line is improving.

Now for the comparison shots.  This month I am still going to compare back to January, but I think I will be dropping that and proceeding with just using February as my baseline.  I can't handle the scraggly mane and inconsistent location I did in January.

I think he looks way better in April (bottom), but January is a terrible picture to start.

He was trying to chew on his lead rope and looks a little drugged...

His neck looks better in February (top), but that was a lucky shot.

I seriously can not wait for him to shed out and be one color.

His back has more muscle, but he is still horribly uneven.

6 comments:

  1. Have you tried adding soaked beet pulp into his feed for added weight? Or soaked alfalfa? I've used both on all of my hard keepers or rescues and they work pretty well. I'm new to your blog so I don't know a ton about what you're going through with him, but he's definitely made a lot of progress from January!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is extremely picky and eats incredibly slow (mainly due to being easily distracted). He gets alfalfa daily. I think the biggest thing lacking is our hay sucks. It isn't a barn thing just a location thing. I actually just started adding some timothy pellets to his massive amount of food.

      He was lean to start with then with the EPM he lost muscle and weight. He has been putting both on pretty steadily since then. I had him on smart gain which was working great but then he stopped eating it and wouldn't touch his breakfast, so progress has been slower since then.

      Delete
  2. I have to disagree with looking better in feb in the one photo...if you look closely at his top line it is filling in!

    I think the timothy pellets will help tremendously...weight gain is always slow, but you can def see a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah his back is way better. I was referring to the dip in his neck from the slightly less ginormous underneck. The February picture he must have been stretching and not as relaxed because the dip is less pronounced.

      I am hopeful for the pellets. He isn't going to ever be chunky but I would like to get a bit more on him.

      Delete
  3. Looks like his back is filling in nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like this progress. I don't think I would have been as into it if he hadn't had such a big setback.

      Delete