Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Small Trot And The Magic Saddle

I will get to the good details after I shamelessly self promote.  The Olympic Contest closes on Friday, so get your entries in!  To my knowledge the prize for sharing the contest has exactly zero entries for the drawing, so share and win.  Just as a reminder (because who doesn't like prizes) you can win a plain bonnet from If The Bonnet Fits, two strands from Dark Jewel Designs, or a $25 gift card from Riding Warehouse.

Stinker looks dapper in his If The Bonnet Fits and Dark Jewel Designs

Now on to the actual pony stuff.  As I mentioned on Monday, my favorite dressage judge was in town and I got two lessons in with her.  We mostly worked on the trot and did way more trotting that I had been so I know I can step up the game there.

It was such a struggle for me to actually get this picture

The biggest take away was I need to make everything a random game for him.  When I keep things very fluid and random, he can't start anticipating and tense.  Lots of turns and changes of directions and just slide him in and out of the trot.  Nothing is a big deal (I can praise him, but any changes need to be subtle and the appropriate amount of prep).  I keep trying to over prep everything.

The sunset have been so pretty lately

On the first day, I really left like I was struggling in the trot.  I felt super floppy and loose and generally sloppy.  After a brief discussion post lesson, we decided to move my stirrups to the second bar on my saddle.  It sits higher and farther back than the one I had been using.

I love how fancy he looks in the white polos

The second day, I warmed up without stirrups because I didn't like them but didn't want to mess with them before the dressage judge looked at them.  We dropped them another hole and then they were ok at the walk.  In the trot, they were amazing and made me fall even more in love with my saddle.  I didn't realize that I had been using all my core strength just to maintain my balance, which is why I had no half halt.  Since I was starting more balanced I actually had a half halt.

It is amazing what a half halt will let you do.

Having a half halt let me find a small trot where I can really get him working correctly.  It will help him to build more strength than the big one, since he tends to start pulling with the front instead of pushing from behind.  It is a work in progress, but I really feel like we are so close to something.  I am not sure what that something is, but hopefully I will be able to recognize it when I get there.

16 comments:

  1. So glad you got to the bottom of those stirrup bars. Stinkers looks was more relaxed over his back in those few gifs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is really starting to understand what I want. So proud of the little guy!

      Delete
  2. Every time you post something about how much you love your saddle it makes me want to max out my credit card and buy one, responsibilities be damned....haha. I need there to be more used ones available in the States!

    Sounds like you're on the verge of an awesome breakthrough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a good saddle fitter is key. It seriously took all day to find the setup he liked. But it is worth every penny I spent.

      Delete
  3. You've really made me want to try out that saddle!! Penn had to find the small trot too to build the right strength. It sounds like everything is really coming along, it's very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saddles for all!!! I was so happy to find the small trot and have a half halt again. It made such a huge difference.

      Delete
  4. Holy crap! He looks so relaxed and fancy in the bottom GIF. Go you! Finding the right spot in the right saddle is magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He has come so far that it still surprises me. It really is before him I had no idea how important saddle fit is to both the horse and rider.

      Delete
  5. Awesome! I want to find a magic saddle!

    P.S. I entered your Olympic contest and will share it on my blog tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you find your magic saddle because it really is magical!

      Delete
  6. I shared the contest on my Facebook page for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get in on this contest!!!! Also must be such a great feeling to really click into the saddle like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you do! More entries!!!

      The saddle feeling is so amazing. Some days I love it more than Stinker ;)

      Delete
  8. I look forward to the day that I can drop my stirrups without Leo having a heart attack. Sigh. But good for you and your saddle, that's so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys will get there. If you go back in the video lessons to Jan/Feb (I think) there should be some nice GIFs of Stinker freaking out because OMG legs touched him. It is really in the last few months that he finally started trusting me and stopped freaking out over every little thing.

      Delete