Friday, October 28, 2016

October 10 Questions

Since I spent all of my extra time this week stalking people for the between the ears contest, I didn't have time (or brain power to be honest) to put together a post about Stinker.  The contest was way harder than I was expecting and there was one horse I couldn't even figure out what color it was.  Thankfully I entered, so I know I got one right.  So thanks to L, here are the ten questions.

1)  What do you consider jumping high for yourself?
Ummm....basically anything that requires the horse to jump.  When I was jumping Pongo regularly, I felt quite comfortable at 2'6" and 2'9" was doable.  Basically I am a giant weeny.

Jumping is terrifying (my face says it all)

2)  What are your short term goals for riding?  Do you think you will reach them?
Getting Stinker solid in the walk trot and canter.  I really hope so, because if I can't I am more deluded about my riding ability than I realize.

3)  What are my long term goals for riding?  Do you think you will reach them?
I want to get my dressage medals and do a beginner novice horse trials.  I think that they are totally reasonable since I don't have a time line for them.

I will have to upgrade from cross rails

4)  How many barns have you been with in your riding career?
My horse has only been at one barn.

5)  How many different trainers have you been with in your riding career?
I have ridden regularly with three dressage/eventing trainers.  And done clinics with a couple of other eventing trainers.

6)  Ever worked at a barn?  What did you do?
I guess you could count working on the ranch as working at a barn, and that included basically anything and everything.  I also worked as the head wrangler at a guest ranch one summer.  I was in charge of the barn, matched people with horses for the week, and took people out on trail rides.

Baby me dressed for the dude ranch

7)  Scariest thing that has happened at your barn?
I have been lucky here.  I think the scariest thing was when one of the ponies coliced and when we loaded him on the trailer to take him to the vet school (3 hours away) no one thought he was coming off the trailer alive.  Spoiler alert:  He walked off the trailer like he hadn't been sick and placed 4th at the AECs this year.

8)  Have you ever given a lesson?  What level was the rider?
Pardon me while I die laughing.  Not to mention, I would be a terrible teacher.

9)  What is your opinion on the accuracy of critiquing riders online?
You get what you pay for...  I think most of the time the people that know what they are talking about refrain because they are smart enough to keep their mouth shut on social media.

Not too mismatched

10)  What is the ideal height of a horse for you?
From a purely aesthetic point of view I would probably say I shouldn't go less than 16.1-16.2 unless they take up a lot of leg.  That being said, I like quick nimble horses and don't mind looking a little tall.  Stinker is 15.3 to my 6'0" and I don't think we look bad together.

9 comments:

  1. That contest was insane. I finally gave up and started guessing. But I did get one right too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would have ever guessed you were quite that tall, you look great on Stinker! Great post, I love learning more about everyone with these 10 questions posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, that contest is insanely hard. I know I got mine right, and I'm 95% sure I got yours right. But seriously, blogland needs more diversity in coat colours, the sheer amount of bays was insane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bays were killing me! I really hope I got yours right but by the end I really wasn't sure on anything.

      Delete
  4. Ugh I need to work on my between the ears

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randomly assignment! It will probably get you a higher score than me 😂

      Delete
  5. Yeah that contest was tough hey?! I'm 6 feet tall and I think I look alright on 15.3hh too. I think you are Stinker are nicely matched!

    ReplyDelete