Monday, November 7, 2016

Goobers and Challenges

Stinker is winning the goober award of the weekend.  It started on Saturday morning.  When I went to grab him out of the pasture he had one bell boot flipped up.  I rolled my eyes and flipped it back down.  Sunday morning the same thing, except both were flipped up.  What is even the point of having bell boots on him if he won't leave them alone?  I should mention he has to have pull ons, because he takes all the others off.

What's up?  I'm cute

It's the new fashion

The fun continued after my ride.  I was leading him out to the wash rack and all of a sudden he planted his feet and started snorting.  I thought he was spooked by the new boot rack.  I was so very wrong.  The brown paper bag was the terrifying things.

Must sniff to make sure it's ok

On another note, in October the barn had a challenge for who rode their horse the most.  This month it is the amount of time doing no stirrups work.  Since I like to win things I decided any day I am just doing walk work with Stinker I would just pull off my stirrups.  I did that Saturday and promptly regretted my life choices.  Then to make things even better, I did another fifteen minutes on Sunday.

No stirrups

The down side to doing this no stirrup work, is I had to drop my stirrups another hole.  I realize this doesn't sound like it should be a downside, but I only have one more hole and then I have to buy new stirrup leathers.  Any one want to bet if I can make it until black friday/cyber monday before I need new stirrup leathers?

15 comments:

  1. Brown paper bags eat horses, ya know! Very dangerous!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My barn loves to do things like this too. I opted out of no stirrup November (because it was all or nothing, and I had a show this weekend haha) but it's always fun to have some friendly competition! I think you should just preemptively buy the leathers 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my horses back too much to do it all the time, so I don't blame you there.

      Delete
    2. They're having a competition for a prize, which is nice! But half the boarders have super chill western horses.... Yeahhhhhh my horses gaits are way too big to comfortably ride without stirrups all the time, and she's still young. I do pull my stirrups off regularly though, I just won't do it for a whole month because like you, I like my horses back! 😂

      Delete
    3. I like what I'm doing this month, pull the stirrups for our walk only days and then drop them for the first 15 minutes of the other rides.

      Delete
    4. Yeah that seems infinitely more manageable! (And good for your horse lol)

      Delete
  3. Does he pull the bell boots up with his mouth? Or roll them somehow? That is an interesting problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bet is on his mouth probably due to him trying to pull them off. But I really don't know...

      Delete
  4. Ahhh no stirrup November... I should partake but I donno if I will... but then again, I should slap a neck strap on Penn and have at it!

    Also, your barn's velcro board for drying boots? Why has no one else thought of that???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do walk warmup with out them! It's made a huge difference for me.
      I was so impressed with that board! And yes it's for drying boots.

      Delete
  5. Hey if there were contests like that at my barn I would probably win most of them. (since I own the barn and have no boarders). :)
    Congratulations on your longer leg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I don't picture Irish providing you with very good prizes...

      Delete
  6. Those bell boots are cracking me up! Also, I am totally tempted to pull my stirrups, but also terrified - Leo gets fifty thousand times more reactive to life when I start riding without stirrups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the new fashion, called even if I can't remove them I will render them useless...
      Start with walk work and keep your stirrups on your saddle. That way if he gets too reactive you can take them back. I'm only doing walk work, nothing crazy.

      Delete