Friday, July 29, 2016

Breeches

First don't forget about the Olympic Contest!  There are still more prizes than entries, so enter away!

Secondly, I have been struggling to find breeches that I like.  I have several fit problems.  One I am super tall, but I also have hips and a butt.  Apparently most companies assume if you are tall you are also super skinny (ok maybe not super skinny but they stop making longs before they hit my size).  I have a few that I like and a few that failed, so if you have any suggestions fire away.

I have some Kerrits tights that I love and wear all the time, but they only come in black and tan.  I am ok with wearing them in the black, but a girl can only have so many pairs of black tights.  I tried a pair of their full seats and while I liked them they didn't last.

Stinker thinks that I shouldn't be allowed to dress anyone.

I tried the Aztech Diamond breeches, but they aren't wide enough in the hips for me.  I also tried Smartpak Pipers and those were terrible.  I had to size up to a 36 to even get them on and then the waist was so large I can easily fit a fist in them.  I also tried some Goode Rider and they were big fat nopes.

The FITS Free Flex Full Seats are good, but they are a little snugger and leave things more visible than I would prefer.  They are typically the ones that I wear for the video lessons and clinics because they are my only light grey pair.

FITS.  Look fine in the saddle, but a touch snug for my taste.

I recently tried ROMF St. Tropez Full Seats and they are nice, but a little heavy for summer season.  They are also a little snugger in the hips that I like.  I have to do some squats when I first put them on so they stretch and aren't weird when I get in the saddle.  They are also too short for me, but I mostly ignore that.

ROMF St. Tropez.  A bit to heavy for the humidity.

If you are hippier, what are your favorite breeches (full seats or knee patch)?  If you aren't what breeches didn't you like because they were too big in the hips?

14 comments:

  1. Have you tried the RJ Classics Gulf breeches? They are the biggest in the hip of all the breeches I own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't because I couldn't ever find a size chart. Or a pair cheap enough to take the risk of buying without measurements.

      Delete
    2. They run very standard, IMO. It's just regular breech sizing.

      Delete
  2. I hate breech shopping. I make do with the pipers because it's a price point I can handle and I don't expect perfection. Let me know if you find anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. I've picked the ROMF when they are in clearance at Riding Warehouse, so they were similarly priced to the pipers. Just be careful on the style some are much slimmer cut than others.

      Delete
  3. I'm also both tall and a bit curvy through the hip/butt! I honestly love my tailored sportsmans (and usually snatch them off eBay on the cheap) and the two pair of Romfh that I've had. But I totally agree that Romfhs are a bit heavy for summer work. Let us know if you find the tall girls unicorn breech!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a 36" inseam so share the long legs problem with you although I'd say I'm fairly average in the hips department. I tried the RJ Classic Gulf breeches and loved the fabric and the long length but they were too big in the hips for me. Sounds like they might be a good match for you.
    Were the Aztec Diamond breeches long enough for you? I've been wanting to try them but I'm generally scared of anything I can't get in long.
    My newest love (TS trophy hunters are my first love) is the Romfh Sarafinas. They are very stretchy and a nice techy fabric. Seems like they would accommodate a lot of shapes nicely and the long fits me great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I don't remember on the Aztec I was so appalled (they were white and a terrible fit) that they were promptly removed. I think they might have been a tad short but not bad and I have a 36" inseam too.

      Delete
    2. The ADE don't run particularly long... I'd say they're on the shorter side, honestly.

      Delete
  5. I am tall, and very curvy through my hips and thigh and breeches are a total PITA, so I feel your pain. I so wanted to love the Sarafinas. Their largest size is a 34, and in the full seats was just too snug on me in my hips/thigh. But a 34 in knee patch fit well. The new Pipers with the mid-rise, plus their silicon breech (not the knit ones) may be with checking out. I have a silicon full seat pair and love them. They fit better than the regular ones. My other go to is the Ovation Celebrity Slim full seats. I take a 34 and these are my favorites. But, they can be heavy in the summer. They are better than the Pipers, but not as nice as the Sarafina fabric wise. I've also recently tried some Irideon. I have a pair of the Zanzibar knee patch which I love - nice light fabric and a 34 fits well-received and a pair of tights. Both work week for hot weather and both are better suited for jumping work rather than dressage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the same problem: larger butt/hips than waist and tall. I tend to prefer my kerrits tights for comfort, but I did pick up a pair of Ovation Slim secrets for showing and those fit pretty well. I have had good luck with Horze as well. Not so much on the hips thing, but they are generally great on length. I will also throw out another idea no one ever seems to like, but it you find a pair of breeches you like that are long enough and fit your hips, take them in to a seamstress and have them fix the waist. It'll probably cost ~$20 to get basically custom made breeches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never looked at HorZe because I couldn't get past the name...
      The tailoring is a good idea!

      Delete