Gotta make this face the best he can be
First off, I have a plan in place in case I die suddenly. Morbid I know, but it is also necessary. He will go back to D and she has the means to find him a good home or the possibility to keep him if she so chooses. Either way, he has a soft landing regardless of where his training stands.
This leads me into my actual question. What skills would you want a horse to have to be a solid citizen?
He stands quietly now.
My criteria may or may not be the best one, because I like the weirdos and I have spent my whole life around horses, so there may be behaviors that don't bother me that are terrifying to others. So help me identify the holes in my grand plan.
- Ground manners
- Leads next to you. No dragging behind or in front (guess which one is Stinker's problem).
- Picks up feet easily
- No biting (Stinker is super mouthy so this is a constant battle. He doesn't bite, but the licking proceeds to nibbles)
- Stands for grooming and washing
- No pawing in the cross ties (This is also a work in progress)
- Under Saddle
- Stands for mounting (this has improved greatly)
- Willing to stand and wait (this needs work)
- Prompt and forward (we have this down pat)
- Can be ridden alone or in groups (the alone part is good groups are hit or miss)
- Trail rides (still improving)
- I would love for him to be solid in dressage and maybe some little jumping but that is dreaming at the moment
- Personality (These aren't really trainable, but they are pluses that Stinker has)
- Lovable (Stinker is a favorite around the barn because he is so interactive)
- Smart (He picks up things so quickly. I have been too lazy to do tricks with him, but with his stretches he basically does them himself)
He hasn't gotten tired of my shenanigans yet,
so he is basically tween girl proofed.
I really want him to become a solid citizen, so if the odds aren't in our favor he can find a soft landing. He already has several strikes against him. One he is a saddlebred which carries a lot of negative connotation for people. Two he now has had health issues which may or may not continue to cause him problems. Also, his conformation isn't the best. Three, he had a rough start and has baggage from it. Lucky for him I am not the three strikes you are out kind of girl.
I think I did things right to update this to a blog hop if you are interested. If it isn't working please let me know and I will attempt to fix it.