Wednesday, July 27, 2016

I Like Big Butts

Unfortunately Stinker does not have one, but I have been working really hard to give Stinker a big butt.  I feel like something is missing from my routine.  As a review, he has poor hind end conformation, EPM basically removed all muscle from his hind (that might be a smidge dramatic but that is what it felt like), and I am still figuring out how to ride him correctly.

This year is on top and last year is on the bottom

As you can see from the picture, I have made progress not only with his weight, but also with his muscling.  He looked like shit last year after he lost weight and muscle from the EPM.  I am concerned about how he has a dip in his butt.  I have read that this goes along with a weak stifle (which also goes along with what my vet has said).


I don't have an old butt shot to compare it too, but you can see how flat his bum is on the sides.  The right is worse than the left, which correlates with his right hind being weaker than his left hind.  I have been doing all the things I know to strengthen them, but I am not making the progress that I want.  I could just be being impatient (no surprise there...I want muscle NOW!)

Who doesn't want a horse that stands like a ballerina?

Right now, we walk on hills, play with poles, some backing exercises, leg yields on a circle, turns on the forehand.  That basically covers the majority of exercises that I have found.  I really wish that I could do trot on the hill, but he made that very apparent he isn't ready for it yet.  I am questioning if I could just do one or two and then stop, because he was ok with that.  But I am also terrified I will push too hard and have a huge set back.  The backing is slowly improving, but we have two problems with it.  One, he doesn't back straight (I can't use a whip to keep him straight because he loses his mind at sight of a whip), so I have to use a fence or something to keep him straight.  Also, he doesn't take the clear step necessary to really engage things.  He does more of the only if I have to shuffle.  I am really not sure how to get this crisp.

So are there any other exercises I am missing?  General thoughts?

13 comments:

  1. Mikey was one who didn't lay down the muscle, no matter what I did. His muscles would become toned and firm, but not get huge like Penn's do. Try turns on the haunches (in place and walking)- when properly done, the haunches stay engaged and under the horse. I don't get much use from turn on the fore, seems like encouragement to stay on the forehand. I always wanted to try a muscle builder supplement with Mikey to see if that would help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also took YEARS for him to fill in.

      Delete
    2. I know that he will always have a leaner build and won't have the warm blood hunk look. But I do think that there is more in there, especially along the sides where he has the concavity.
      We are working on the turns on the haunches but they are harder for him to do properly. We are up to about a quarter of a turn (that is quality). I have the same thought about the turns on the forehands but so many people kept saying that they were necessary and they are really easy for him.
      I'm hesitant to try another supplement because I finally have him eating well and he is super picky. He refused to eat his weight gain supplement and would dump his bucket or not touch it.
      I will try to be patient. I need to keep reminding myself that I am making progress. Even if it isn't as fast as I want. Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Even walking up hills will build muscle, he doesn't have to trot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has helped a ton but I'm starting to worry that we have plateaued and need to shake up the routine a bit.

      Delete
  3. I would agree with Delwyn, walking up hills is great, especially if you really focus on them pushing from behind. Trotting is way easier to get on the forehand and have them pull themselves up.
    If you do decide to try a muscle builder supplement you should look into Equitop Myoplast. I've used it with great success, even with picky eaters, and my barn mate put her horse on it while he was recovering from colic surgery and he didn't lose any discernible muscle during 6 weeks of stall rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My suggestions would be walking on hills, plus lots of transitions. If you get quality transitions where he is using his hind end, going from walk to trot and back to walk lots of times should help build strength. When you're ready you can add in trot/halt, canter/trot, and canter/walk transitions into the mix.

    If turn on the haunches is still hard for him then that is probably a good thing to keep working on. He hasn't plateaued there if it's still a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quality transition... We are working on getting one of those. They are slowly getting better and less giraffe like. But there is a lot of inverting still.
      I think the turn on the haunches is less of a physical thing and more of a training thing. It was something he had never done and I wasn't doing things correctly when I first started teaching him...oops. The poor guy got a little confused but now that I'm lined out we are doing better

      Delete
  5. I second all the votes for walking up hills. And transitions. You can do transition work on lunge with side reins on to encourage him to transition without giraffing. He'll learn how to use those back muscles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transitions without giraffing are soooo hard. I hadn't thought about the lunging. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Courage isn't what I'd call skinny, but he's really hulked out this year. There's no magic formula that makes it better--just slow, consistent, correct work for months and years on end. Hang in there. You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Courage is looking sooo good! I drool over him regularly and hope Stinker will fill out like that. But it does take time. I always forget that you have had Courage for three years. So maybe in 2.5 years we will be there?

      Delete