Friday, July 15, 2016

Glade

Typically, I wouldn't write a post like this, but this one stuck with me.  Yesterday, there was an article published on Eventing Nation that struck a cord with me.  I understand why the author did what she did, but I want to share the other side of the story.  The one where the person doesn't make it across.


I had a brother Glade and he died when I was five years old.  He was twenty three years old and one of the few memories I have of him was hiding from the strange man.  It haunts me that my only memory that is truly mine is one where I was afraid of my own brother.  His memory lives on in stories, but if you goggle his name one small article about a tree being planted in his memory is the result.  A vibrant young man was reduced to a blip, all because of a split second decision to save some horses.


I don't remember a lot from the day that he died, but I do remember it was the first time I ever saw my dad cry.  The way Glade died was eerily similar to the way the article unfolded.  There was a big rain storm and a flash flood.  There were horses that were stranded on an island in the middle of a stream that was rapidly riding.  He and his girlfriend were trying to use a fence to cross the stream and the fence started coming apart.  She turned back and he grabbed one of the horses and that was the last time anyone saw him alive.  He and the horse went under (probably due to a fence) and he was found nine miles down stream and his horse was another four miles beyond him.


Obviously the author of the article had additional assistance that my brother did not have, but things could have just as easily have ended the same way.  I beg of you to please think twice before risking your life for your horse.  I love my horse more than anything, but he is not worth putting my family through the pain of losing me.  Somebody loves you, think of them and not yourself before you risk your life.

PS I do not know who took these photos and I apologize for not giving photo credits.

12 comments:

  1. That is truly, truly tragic and I'm so sorry! He was obviously an incredibly loving person to take that risk in the first place.

    A recent first aid course I attended was focused entirely on assessing risk before trying to help - too many people injured and killed trying to save others. Also dogs, and horses are more capable swimmers than humans which surprised me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really awesome that they focus on assessing the risks. It is hard when it's our animals to think logically.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss :( scenarios like this terrify me. I hope I never have to make a call like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am so sorry. I read that EN article and could picture the worst case scenarios. It's so easy to set aside our own personal safety in those situations but it's the last thing we should do. As you say - the people we love are irreplaceable, as much as we adore our animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is so easy especially when you are in the moment.

      Delete
  4. It all happens in a moment. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry Teresa, sending hugs

    ReplyDelete