Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Hop Along

Things have been pretty quiet with Stinker.  When I got back from Wyoming (two weeks ago I think) Stinker was walking fine until I picked his one hind hoof.  Then he was all OMG CAN'T PUT ANY WEIGHT ON IT.  I promptly got really paranoid and luckily had numbers for a couple different farriers.  I started with my top choice and didn't really expect him to be able to get out soon, but he said he could be out on Monday morning.

Super helpful for cleaning/filling the tub

Poor Aimee had to deal with my obsessing over how pathetic my horse looked hobbling around on three legs all weekend.  He would only put the tip of his left hind down on the ground.  Which of course led me to panicking about what else in his already questionable hind he was beating up.  I compensated by over bedding his stall because it was something I could do to make him feel more comfortable.

Chief Poop Supervisor

The farrier was fabulous and we talked about Stinker's feet and what he thought was going on with the sore foot.  Stinker stood like a champ and the farrier even mentioned how great he was (which is awesome because he wasn't my old farrier's favorite).  After the old shoe was pulled (it was pretty much only being held on by the clips and a couple nails) and he was reshod, he was so much happier and actually walked off like a normal horse.  Occasionally there was still a gimp.

Not super thrilled about the noisy stock trailer

I kept him in his stall+run for a few more days, because I figured he was going to run around like a jackass and didn't want him to make that foot hurt more.  Once, he was almost 100% I turned him out and finally put him with Cowboy.  Stinker immediately started running around like an idiot (FREEDOM!!!!), while Cowboy tried to keep up (OMG FRIEND!!!).


Needless to say, the boys have been very happy together.  And Cowboy has only gotten a couple scrapes.  Stinker is a brat and likes to push Cowboy around but they seem to be doing really well together.  I have even been able to feed them without separating because Stinker eats so slowly and Cowboy is done before Stinker.


I finally got back to riding Stinker this week and it has been going really well.  He picked right up where we left off.  I have been struggling with my riding some.  Why is it so hard to sit on my right seat bone?  Or remember to keep my legs under me and not shove my butt out the back?  Bottom line is I need lessons.  But at least one of us is remembering what we are supposed to do.

13 comments:

  1. I am glad that you got his foot sorted out. He sounds like Irish- if his shoe is not perfect he is completely crippled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually he is pretty stoic, but he was quite pathetic this time.

      Delete
  2. Glad the farrier was able to get Stinker sorted out so you can get back to riding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you've got things sorted out! Sounds like you're on your way to having a good team up north too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, it is so hard finding who the good people are when you don't know anyone.

      Delete
  4. Eh, I would have been freaking out worse. I was shocked you could wait til Monday. I'd be like MUST HAUL TO GIANT VET CLINIC HORSE DYING OMG. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well someone took all my money so I didn't want that bill ;)

      Delete
  5. Ouchy foot notwithstanding I'm so happy that Stinker has transitioned so well with the move. I know you were worried about how he would handle it but being back to where you left off already is freakin fantastic! Your new digs are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad Stinker is feeling better! I'm sure your right seat bone and legs will start behaving soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to find a trainer to straighten me out (literally)

      Delete