Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Shipping

Last week I was ecstatic to find out that Stinker was going to be shipping out late Thursday night.  I wasn't expecting him to ship so quickly and I hadn't prepped the barn for him yet.  So I was left scrambling trying to get everything done.  I also wasn't sure how long it was going to take for him to get here, since I didn't speak to the shippers after the paperwork was all filled out.


Saturday morning I finally received an email telling me that they would be dropping him off and to please call.  When I called to confirm, they said he was traveling really well and was a great little guy.  I was very relieved to hear that, because when I first got him he would paw a lot and immediately start sweating regardless of the temperature.

Good to be free

Once the trucked rolled in and they started setting up the ramp I could see him.  He was very curious (shocking I know), but waited patiently and walked off the ramp like he had been doing it his whole life.  He was delighted with his stall/run/paddocks (I have everything open for him) and grabbed a couple bites of hay, rolled, and drank some water.

All by myself

The barn came with the automatic waterers and I wasn't sure if he had ever seen one.  He immediately started drinking out of it and as soon as it turned on he spooked.  He did the same thing the second time too.  Hopefully, he will figure it out because it is heated and that will be really nice for the winter.

Why yes I did sit in his stall and drink chai while he ate breakfast

The last piece of the getting Stinker settled is a buddy horse.  Hopefully in the next week or so I can find something that will work well for us and then I think he will be quite happy with life.  Overall, I was very happy with my decision to use Brook Ledge.  It was pricy, but he traveled really well and they were very prompt and professional.  Hopefully I won't need to use them again (really really really don't want to move again), but if I do have the need I would happily use them again.

20 comments:

  1. Welcome home Stinker. I'm glad that he travelled well. And yes, I too have sat in the barn with my horses with a beverage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good experience w/the shippers & Stinker is safe. There are quite a few folks out there who claim to be professional shippers who don't have a clue, or just don't care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very careful with the company I picked. I didn't want to have him go missing or get in a sketchy situation with people.

      Delete
  3. So glad he arrived safely and has settled in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you guys had a good experience and he arrived safely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home, Stinker! Glad he traveled so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a relief to have him home healthy and happy! definitely seems worthwhile to invest in a shipper that's trustworthy and provides such excellent care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you both arrived at your new home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd totally hang out in the stall, too, after not seeing my horse and getting them HOME. How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was tired of me that first day. JUST LET ME SQUEEZE YOU STINKER

      Delete
  9. So glad he traveled so well! Looks like a lovely new home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I'm glad he's home. I've only ever heard good things about Brook Ledge.

    ReplyDelete