Monday, July 31, 2017

Lesson Time

My original plan was to try and get some lessons on school horses to test trainers out before Stinker was moved, but my two top choices didn't have any openings on school horses.  Then Stinker was moved much more quickly.  So I contacted my top choice about setting up a lesson with Stinker and for various reasons (me being out of town, them being out of town, a show) we were unable to schedule it until this weekend.

Being nervous on the trailer

At the beginning of last week I started panicking about things.  I was nervous about everything.  Hauling out for a lesson, getting everything organized, new trainer, new place, what if they hated Stinker.  It all seemed daunting.  Saturday morning I cleaned all my tack and boots and gave Stinker a bath so he looked less feral.  I even managed to get everything I needed packed.

Oh right I can act like a horse

Stinker was pretty nervous when I started to pull out of the drive, but by the time I got to the lesson barn he settled and he stood quietly on the trailer while I filled out the release forms.  When I unloaded him he was pretty up, but once I started grooming him he settled down.  My lesson was in the indoor which has mirrors so I opted to walk him around the ring before I got on.  He snorted some and was pretty nervous but was well mannered.

Fancy barn

The lesson wasn't anything mind blowing.  We worked on the exact same things I had been working on with my favorite dressage judge and S.  The phrasing was a little different, but it worked well for us.  I thought it was a fairly easy lesson, but my hips are informing me otherwise.  He got a little tense and nervous a few times, but would quickly come back to me.  I was also able to slow his walk much more quickly than I have in the past.  By the end of the lesson he felt really good and we were able to get him to stretch in the trot both directions without him speeding up.

Home sweet home

Overall, I think this trainer will be a really good fit for us.  Stinker isn't everyone's cup of tea, but she seemed to really like him.  It also didn't hurt that she called him cute and smart.  But I was really pleased and hopefully I will be able to get on a regular schedule with her.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you wer able to get connected with a trainer so quickly! Sounds like a good fit for you and Stinker 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw so happy you found someone that quickly and it was a good experience. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It should reduce the panicked OMG SO NERVOUS HOW SHOULD I DRESS MY HORSE messages.

      Delete
  3. ooooh that's awesome tho! so cool that Stinker was so much his normal self too, seems like a promising situation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally get get why it seemed daunting before you left. I always get the jitters with new things like that. But it sounds like it was a successful outing! Hope things work out great with your new trainer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sounding so positive. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really feels great! The right trainer is everything.

      Delete